Starting Yoga

My first impressions on yoga were not so good, to be honest. I thought of yoga as a hippie, new age, weird juju thing. But as the beautiful social media bombard us with images and marketing, I kept seeing it more and more. I was having negative thoughts of something I didn't even know much about. So as a new way of living that I am doing where I get informed before having an opinion, I dived once again into youtube to learn more about yoga. Without getting too much into what yoga is or can mean for people, I found my "why" for doing yoga.

I stumbled upon this wonderful yogy Adriene. Her voice is smooth, she is really cute and just fun to watch and do yoga with. When I started doing the first video with her, I really thought I was going to perish while doing downward facing dog. She kept talking and directing your breathing, while I was breathing like I had just ran a marathon. It was such an eye opening experience.

One of the things she kept repeating was living or breathing in the moment, being aware of your body and how it feels. And that got me thinking, "man, we are so worried about the next hour that we don't get to have a moment of quiet". As I kept doing yoga with Adriene, I noticed how my breath was just in sync with hers, downward facing dog was no longer painful, I started to sleep better, my anxiety levels went way down and for some reason I even felt more thankful.

When I shared these things with my mom, she almost made fun of me but I told her that I didn't see anything wrong to spend more time in the quiet than on the internet or watching TV, we needed to be more connected to the world than to social media. And while blogging is social media, my hopes are that I can encourage some positive thinking. To open your mind and question things you haven't before while bringing some of my craziness in the bowl.

So moral of the story: Things are not what they seem, living the moment and finding quiet is not a new age juju. We need to connect to nature, appreciate more what has been giving to us.



This is Adrienne's channel:

Yoga with Adriene


Comments

Popular Posts